Fire protection, emergency service provider, health and safety promotion.
In July, 1947 Fire Chief G.R. (Geordie) Sutherland called a special meeting of the Brigade to discuss the need for a building “in which to keep our fire equipment” as the current heated building was needed by the Box Mill before winter. The Chief “favoured a tile building, complete with a tower for drying the fire hose”; size was to be “approximately 20’x30′ at least 10′ on the posts.” On July 28, 1947 a motion was passed to build a new building, however in April, 1948 the size and style were still being discussed – now 20’x54′ with 10′ posts.
A motion finally passed on April 24, 1948 to build a ‘speed-tile’ building with 8 windows, a “Roller Door” and shelves for drying hose and apparently they went right at it. At the Nov. 26, 1948 Annual Meeting, the Financial Report showed the total building cost of $825.42 including all materials and labour.
In the late ‘60’s the single bay building was getting cramped, so the size of the fire hall was doubled, adding a second bay and overhead door on the south side and a meeting area to the east. A water reservoir was cribbed-up under the floor with slightly used railroad ties.
As the community continued to grow and prosper in the ‘70’s things were getting cramped again. A major Do-It-Yourself building project saw two more bays added on the north side of the building with a second story meeting space, washrooms, kitchen and training room included and completed in 1980. However it wasn’t only the community that was growing; the size of trucks was growing as well.
Serious discussion of the need for a new building began in the mid-90’s as replacement trucks were needed, but trucks had continued to grow beyond the size of the old building. When the Brookfield Memorial School was declared surplus to the School Board in 2003, this presented an opportunity too good to miss. The initial thought was to renovate the school building to meet BFD needs, then to purpose-build a building to resemble the Memorial School, but finally the contemporary design tilt-up slab plan was developed, and approved by the community in the spring of 2005 and the construction seen today at 110 Route 289 was completed by J.W. Lindsay Construction in January 2006.